You are currently browsing the monthly archive for February 2011.
There is a lot of information out there on how to meditate. Some of it accurate and some of it designed to sell you books, CD’s and workshops. As a psychic medium and animal communicator who never embraced meditation on a formal level, either prior to recognizing and developing my abilities as a medium or after coming in to my work as a psychic, I have a vastly different viewpoint than many people on the subject of meditation.
Just as with any practice, there are varied directions that you can go in. Either you can utilize meditation for relaxation or you can use it to increase your abilities to communicate with spirit and or animals.
When seeking relaxation, most traditional meditation techniques will be adequate. By looking at each piece of information in or mind, identifying it, acknowledging it and discarding it, we are able to achieve a greater state of relaxation. The problem with this technique, is that any communications coming in by way of telepathic means (which is how most spirit communication and animal communication takes place) will be discarded through this process.
When seeking to establish communication with spirits and animals the process is different. While it is important to have a relatively calm mind, there is no benefit to tossing out all the material in your mind, as you will be removing all of the incoming messages that you are looking to connect with.
The first thing to do, is to understand how the process works. Essentially our minds are like a powerful laptop computer that is on a wifi connection. The laptop in this analogy is much like the mind in that it can display content from a variety of sources, a DVD, a computer disc, a webcam, a camcorder, streaming content over the internet, images and information from your hard drive and much more.
Just as the computer uses binary code as it’s operating language, the same is true of the mind. At it’s base, all communication, nay all functions of the computer are built upon binary code, I see the mind as being no different. This binary code, a series of ones and zeros, can be utilized to create content that is rich in color, movement and sound – quite remarkable when you think about it, and all without being connected to the source of the content as when pulling in information over a wifi connection.
Back to the meditation – so the goal is to go into the computer known as the mind and to parse out or differentiate the sources of the information contained within it and to determine their source.
First you have to identify a piece of information.
For example, you “see” a train in your mind.
Now you need to know the following:
Is the type of train important?
What kind of train is it?
Is it about this specific train, or about trains in general?
Is the reference tied to an event that is related in some way to a train?
For example, recently I had a dog who showed me a train. It seemed to be a bit of an older passenger train that had been kept up and was still in use, but not Amtrak. I asked my client if there would be a reason to see an image of a train coming from her dog. She said “no” that her dog had not traveled by train. I again had to ask about the train reference and she said that she thought that perhaps it was related to a conversation that took place among dinner guests at her house the night before. They had been discussing the wine train that tours the vineyards in Napa or Sonoma Valley and asked why her dog brought it up. Her dog went on to discuss the dinner guests involved in the conversation and related her personal feelings regarding them and the way they treated her.
The dogs information was in no way tied to a train, she did however use the train reference as a marker as to a certain time and place when a conversation had occurred regarding a certain train and of course what she wanted to talk about was the parties involved in the “train” conversation.
Of course much of the information in your mind is self generated, so it is important to quite your own thoughts and to quickly look at and acknowledge information generated by yourself so as to clear up the ability to see the “other” information coming in. It’s much like cleaning up a cluttered desk, if individual notes, projects and such are allowed to clutter up the work surface, it is hard to see any new messages that may be dropped by your desk, with all the clutter, they get lost in the shuffle and become part of the background noise, no different then your own self generated clutter. However with a clean workspace, you can clearly see any new pieces of information that are dropped on your desk, they stand out as much as a large black mark on a white board.
As you clear your mind of your own clutter, separate those thoughts that do not seem to come from you and set them to the side to be reviewed in depth. To determine if something came from your own thought processes, ask yourself this simple question. Did this piece of information originate from me? Did I generate this thought and or image? You should feel a bit of an energy burst, a mild adrenaline shock or static electrical discharge for your “yes” responses, and a “flatline” for a “no” response. I suggest asking the question three times, once you get a reply, ask the opposite, checking to make sure you do not get the same reply and then return to your original question and if you still get the same response, you know that you are receiving information accurately.
Once you have identified information in your mind that did not seem to originate from you, it’s time to review who they are coming from. Common sources would be family on the other side, (including animals) living animals, passed friends, spirit guides, individuals associated with recent or lifelong hobbies and or interests and much more. Determining as to if the person is male or female and as to if they are someone you know on a personal level are very helpful in identifying who is trying to communicate with you. As this posting is about meditation, further discussion in this area will take place at another time.
The key to meditation is intent, intent, intent.
If we wish to connect with a loved one in spirit and put forth the effort to do so in our mind, simply by asking them to connect with us and send us a sign that they are there, we should go into what I consider a relaxed, yet alert state. Once clearing the clutter of the mind, and checking to see if we had any unread messages hanging out in our mind, it is time to send out the request for contact, followed by sitting back and waiting for a response.
Just like when working with walkie-talkies, you must take your finger off of the send button in order to receive. The same is true of communicating on a telepathic level, you must stop sending … in order to receive.
After a few seconds, or even immediately and in rare cases after some time, you should “see” something “pop up” in your mind. Perhaps the information coming in is a reference to the person you wish to connect with, perhaps the information is related to the answer to the question you wished to ask a loved one in spirit. In very rare instances, those we wish to connect with, will not be available. When a spirit is not available, it usually does not mean that they are upset with you, they may simply be unavailable at the time.
One does not have to close their eyes to meditate, you can meditate even while driving. The next time while driving alone on a familiar stretch of fairly simple to negotiate roadway, turn off the stereo, put down your cellphone and instead ask to connect with a loved one in spirit.
I have never gotten “serious” about meditation and yet I communicate with the spirits of loved ones both here and on the other side day in and day out on a professional basis. It was not until I had begun providing readings to the general public that I began to take a few minutes for myself each day or so to sit quietly and check the “voicemail” within my mind. I still do not meditate in the “traditional” sense, and as long as what I do now fills me up with a sense of purpose, a calm energy, and a composed mind, I see no reason to begin monitoring my breathing by counting my inhalations and exhalations as is done with some meditative practices. I meditate to connect with my higher self, those in spirit and those from the animal kingdom. While meditation for relaxation is wonderful, it simply is not what this article is about and should it be something you desire to learn and or practice, I do encourage you to pursue it.
To learn more about the author of this article, psychic medium and animal communicator, Charles Peden, visit www.charlespeden.com.
Recently while working with a particularly difficult animal, it became apparent to me that my client had perhaps an unrealistic expectation when it came to what an animal communicator can and cannot do. This posting will address what you can expect and what you should not expect from a professional pet psychic, (animal communicator.)
Animal communicators are not a cure all, just as a therapist or counselor can communicate with the person having problems – it is dependent upon the party who needs help, accepting the help and communicating themselves. Just because we can talk with our children does not mean that they mind us, the same is true of our animal companions.
Most offending behaviors that animals display can be lumped into one of two categories. The first, acting out due to anger or frustration about their needs not being met. Secondly, a health problem that has not been properly identified and addressed. Sure, there are other reasons to act out, jealously, past trauma, a tension filled environment and other possible triggers, however the majority of “bad” behaviors often are triggered by the first two causes that were mentioned.
Let’s address the first one, your animals needs are not being met. Causes can include such issues as the following:
- Lack of stimulation, such as play time and outside time.
- A shortage of access to clean food and water.
- Improper grooming and or filthy living quarters.
- Too hot or too cold of an environment.
- Overloaded litter boxes.
- Strong smells in their environment.
- The introduction of additional animals and or family members which upset the balance of attention in the home.
Most of the above mentioned issues are fairly obvious and easy to rectify, however with the busy lives that us humans lead, sometimes our animal companions are accidently neglected. When an animal has a problem such as described above, they are limited in what they can do to get our attention. Frequently when an animal is upset, they will exhibit a “bad” behavior, such as tearing up furniture, urinating and defecating in unacceptable locations, barking uncontrollably or worse, becoming aggressive. Unfortunately us humans frequently address the problem behavior, without understanding the cause. When this approach is employed it only causes more frustration and potential anger and frustration in the animal, leading to the situation becoming worse.
The second major issue, undiagnosed health issues also can become a battle within the home. Consider the following issues and how difficult they may be for the animal to relay to us.
- Loss of hearing and or loss of sight.
- Toothache, difficulty eating and or loss of weight along with a irritable disposition.
- Muscle and or tendon damage, such as sprains, pulls and tears.
- Stomach ulcers, various cancers and other chronic conditions.
- Urinary infections, bladder stones, and such.
- Arthritis, and joint pain.
- Skin irritations.
- Allergies and food sensitivities.
- Mental issues, (dementia, chemical imbalances etc.)
With the above issues and many not listed, it may or may not be obvious to us as to what the problem is. In the case of a urinary infection, the animal may begin urinating outside of the litter box which could also indicate that the animal is upset with us over a need not being met. In the case of a urinary infection, we are lucky in that it is easy to diagnose by either ourselves or with a quick trip to the vet, and treatment is fairly straightforward. With such an issue as stomach ulcers, various cancers, as well as muscular and or neurological conditions, and so forth, diagnoses may be a bit more problematic. This is when a battery of tests is often embarked upon, frequently with each test costing more than the last one and all in an effort to pinpoint the cause of the problems being exhibited, by the process of elimination.
If your animal has a condition that is difficult to identify and is causing either you or the animal great difficulties either mentally or physically, and you are going through test after test or being presented a whole litany of tests and paths to follow by your animals medical care provider, a reputable animal communicator may be very beneficial in that they can help to pinpoint what tests should be performed. That being said, I would like to point out several things with regard to animal communicators, but first I would like to provide a definition of what an animal communicator or pet psychic is, as some of them call themselves.
Essentially an animal communicator is one who claims the following:
- That they have the ability to communicate with your animals.
- That the communication will be received via telepathy and that the animal need not be present.
- That this communication will be very detailed and include specific details that only you and your animal would know.
- That the communication can take place over any distance.
- That the communication with your animal is not dependent upon them being living, in that they can speak with those who have passed, as well as the living.
As a former skeptic of such abilities, I will outline how one can easily provide a convincing reading that is completely fraudulent with only a few pieces of information to go on.
- Too often I am asked if I need to see a photograph of the animal that they wish to communicate with. If you claim to be able to communicate with the animal telepathically, why do you need a picture?
- With a photograph the “animal communicator” now knows the physical appearance of the animal and clues to their age. Perhaps there is additional information about you and or the animal contained within the photo, such as a gathering with family or your animal’s sleeping quarters, toys etc.
- Many “pet psychics” request the age of your animal and perhaps even their birthdate.
- With knowledge of the breed, it is pretty easy to simply provide details that are consistent with qualities and or issues associated with that particular type of animal. Of course, once again, if you can talk telepathically with animals, why do you need to ask the animals age, when they can simply tell you how old they are.
- Some “animal communicators” will even ask for details regarding the animal and it’s health. Once again, why provide details, when this person claims to communicate with animals, many are well intentioned, yet are hacks at it.
- Simply being able to recognize or hear a language does not make us literate and or fluent in it.
With one possessing the name, age, physical description and or breed, perhaps even details regarding medical history and often times much more, it is easy to reinforce some common issues with the particular breed and situation as well as providing flattery regarding you and your animal – after all who would not want to hear pleasing platitudes regarding their animal, provided that it is the truth of course. How does one know if what the animal communicator is saying is genuine? After all with the wealth of information you provided, “in order to establish a connection” as so many animal communicators/pet psychics claim, how does one know what to believe and what not to believe?
I suggest applying the following to your search for a reputable animal communicator/pet psychic:
- Do not provide details regarding your animal/s and or situation in your initial contact with a prospective animal communicator. Instead one should simply state their purpose for contact, such as wishing to contact a living animal and one that has passed as well. Please don’t include their breeds, ages, pictures or anything else in your email or phone call.
- Once you have an appointment set up, resist the urge to send pictures to the animal communicator – we all love our fur babies, but the photos are not needed and can only hurt the opportunity to receive a quality reading. Also hold back on providing back story, or anything else for that matter. Instead you should sit down and write down the names of those you wish to contact, living and or deceased and then write down your questions for them. The further in advance that you do this, the easier the reading is. Writing down your questions in advance provides the animals an opportunity to formulate well thought out responses to your questions.
What to expect during a reading:
- At the start of the reading, do not volunteer information, simply state your primary objective and the name and species of the animal you wish to connect with. While the name is required, the species is not – it simply makes it much easier for the animal communicator to establish a connection as quickly as possible.
- Within a very short period of time, usually seconds, a description should begin coming through. Details to expect would be among the following:
- Physical appearance, such as size, coloring, type of coat and in some cases the name of the breed.
- Frequently unusual markings, scars, past injuries, if passed – the way they passed, or what claimed their life will come through.
- Favorite toys, games, foods, treats, activities, memories and more will very often come through.
- Your animals age, (bearing in mind that the gestation period counts towards overall age) perhaps even specific ages or dates in respect to you and your relationship with the animal, such as how long they have lived with you.
- Bear in mind that not all animals communicate the same, just as not all humans have the ability to sing well.
- With a good connection, the communication should be very “conversational” and not in the least bit cryptic.
- If your animal has passed, it is very common for something that has happened recently to you since their passing being brought up, frequently even details from earlier during the day you receive the reading will be brought forth.
- Occasionally details that you are unable to confirm right away will come through, simply make a note of them and later they will either come to pass or make sense to you.
Additional details to consider regarding the relationship between your animal, yourself and the animal communicator:
- The animal knows what their person is doing – your animals are dialed into you nearly 24/7 on a telepathic level. This applies to those in spirit as well.
- If an animal’s person has contacted an animal communicator, trust me – the animal is all ears. Your animal companions are listening, responding to your inquires and or comments is up to them.
- So much of telepathic communication is dependent upon what the intent is, so when the animal and the pet psychic look to connect the connection is usually secured within seconds. This takes place with the animal in the same room as the animal communicator, or over vast distances such as thousands of miles away.
- The animal does not need to be present with their person.
- The animal must be awake, if the animal has passed, they no longer sleep and therefore we do not have to worry about if they are awake or not.
Is it possible that there will be times when your animal will not communicate?
The answer is a simple yes, for many reasons they may not respond, including but not limited to the following:
- If the relationship between the two of you was not very good, they may hold a grudge and not respond – though they can still hear you.
- If the animal is asleep they will usually not connect.
- When distracted by a demanding environment, such as outrunning a predator, it is possible that they will be too busy to connect.
- Animals, like us tend to focus on what is physically in front of them and when in unfamiliar environments they tend to be distracted easily.
- Animals that have passed tend to be very easy to connect with, and frequently their communication is improved upon their passing (in several instances where I have communicated with the animal well before passing and some time after passing.) The exception occasionally seems to be roughly a two week window following their passing, free of their physical restrictions and able to reunite with loved ones in spirit, they may take off for a while. Also on occasion they are still “getting their bearings” and after a few days or so will be in a much better position to communicate.
Most of the time your animal will communicate readily, in detail with a reputable animal communicator. There are of course exceptions to the rule, and hopefully there is now a greater understanding of what to expect and what not to expect when consulting an animal communicator/pet psychic.
A few additional words of wisdom:
- Obsessive compulsive behaviors are difficult to correct and while an animal communicator may help, there certainly is no guarantee. On the other hand if you need to check in with your animal and find out how they feel about your bringing another animal into the home or end of life questions and such, an good animal communicator is nearly guaranteed to bring forward meaningful answers.
- In my experience the best animal communicators/pet psychics do not avoid missing and or lost animal cases and will readily take them on.
- During the first part of the reading you should ask “control” questions. These are questions that are designed to confirm a connection to the animal that you wish to connect with. Early on it is best to ask questions of a simply yes or no nature in their reply. This is very important when doing a reading in person and the animal is either present, or a photograph and or description has already been provided. Remember, the best pet psychics do not require a photograph in order to secure a telepathic connection with your animal.
- The more time that is spent with the animal, frequently the better the communication becomes and often times you will find that absolutely any questions are fair game, regardless of the type of response required.
- Never consult with an animal communicator or pet psychic who does not offer refunds for a failure to connect and bear in mind that more expensive, does not always mean better.
- Most importantly remember that a reputable animal communicator is relay messages from your animals to you.
- Your animal communicator most likely is not a trained behaviorist, doctor, trainer or vet. An animal communicator is simply a translator and advisor, by utilizing their gifts you can experience a stronger bond, connection and a deeper level of understanding and respect.
- If for some reason your animal points you in the wrong direction or simply says something to get you off their back, remember that they most likely learned such behaviors from you. One unusual phenomena that occurs in a few older female dogs that have older women for their caretakers is that frequently the dogs will fudge on their age by a few years, kind of like you saying that you are still celebrating your 39th birthday, for the 5th time.
Charles Peden has been featured in numerous publications, heard on several radio stations and featured on TV. Recently while tuning into NPR you may have hear him on “On Point” you may have seen him briefly on Nightline or featured on the front page of the Amador Ledger Dispatch newspaper and it’s sister publication, the midweek Gold Mine.
Upcoming events include a speaking engagement at the Plymouth – Foothills Rotary Club and an appearance at this years annual fundraiser for the North Bay Humane Society, called Barkitecture, come see him at the Voter Preview Party – his fourth year in a row providing his services to the North Bay Humane Society, formally the Benicia/Vallejo Humane Society.
To learn more about the author of this posting, visit www.charlespeden.com and while there check out the “testimonials” page as well as the “media” page where you can listen to him channeling living and deceased animals while in the studios of various radio stations.